This year the exercise Snow Master will occur from 28 May until 1 June 2017 in EGUERMIN, Ostend.
For two Years now the exercise is based on a realistic scenario covering contemporary topics such as:
– artificial Islands in the South China Sea (SCS) and geopolitical manoeuvrings,
– the 9-dash line and the ASEAN Regional Forum,
– global economic trading patterns and maritime trade being hostage of a crisis,
– high level legal issues,
– asymmetric hybrid warfare and creation of maritime choke points,
– what could signify the consultation process of NATO Article 4 in relation to economic interests and a coalition of the willing.
The scope and objectives of the exercise are:
1. SCOPE. Planning, implementation and execution of NCAGS and AWNIS activities inside an Area of Operations in order to:
a. Train a NCAGS staff personnel and Deployed NCAGS Elements (DNE) personnel in NCAGS tactics, techniques and procedures. Job rotation in the DNE´s is not encouraged, however to expose trainees to as many aspects of NCAGS operations as possible, it may be executed on an individual basis.
b. Provide participating masters and stakeholders with information on the actual maritime situation and – through advice and guidance, assistance on management of merchant ship movements – enhance their safety and security.
c. Train an AWNIS staff to closely cooperate with the NCAGS staff and the AWNIS operators at DNE level in AWNIS matters.
2. OBJECTIVES. The specific objectives of this exercise are:
a. To exercise basic NCAGS in accordance with ATP-02.
b. To exercise NCAGS briefings to Merchant Shipping and Stakeholders.
c. To exercise basic AWNIS in accordance with AHP-01.
d. To perform Port Assessment in accordance with PAH.
e. To compile a stabilisation plan.
f. To improve knowledge on legal aspects related to NCAGS and AWNIS.
g. To improve understanding of the importance of Press and Media.
h. To provide a multi-national training opportunity.
I. To exercise ADP tools and procedures.
In order to meet the scope of the exercise, it is necessary to have a well-balanced manning of the exercise with a good mix of experienced and junior personnel. ‘Given the set-up of the exercise we need, next to regular personnel for the DNE’s as well as the SONCAGS and SONIC teams, also 2 experienced SONACGS and 2 experienced SONICs. Furthermore, 4 experienced IM / ADP colleagues would be appreciated.
EXDIR SNOW MASTER